No Time Tomato Sauce Recipe
Making dinner can be a pain when you don’t have the time; one trick I use at home is making pasta. Even though I may cook pasta for a living I actually do enjoy eating it still. Cooking pasta isn’t the tough part; it’s what you’re going to put on it because butter and parmesan cheese can only go so far. Here is an easy tomato sauce recipe I use at home that is super simple cause the oven does 75% of the work for you, the roasting and caramelizing of the vegetables really brings out nice flavours. Once it is ready you can either keep it a thick rustic sauce or blend it up to the consistency of your choice. You will need:
2 cans – Whole tomatoes (drained and roughly chopped)
3 – Shallots (1 inch diced)
5 cloves – Peeled garlic
1 stick – Celery (1/2 inch sticks)
1 – Medium sized carrot (chopped)
1 tbsp – dry oregano (or 2 sprigs fresh)
10 – Basil leaves
2 tbsp – Ground black pepper
1 tbsp – Salt
½ tsp – chilli flakes
1 tsp – brown sugar (optional)
2 tbsp – Extra virgin olive oil
1) Preheat Oven to 350oF and get a pot on for your pasta
2) Prepare all the vegetables and put in a bowl, add all the spices except the basil, toss with oil.
3) Place bowl contents into an oven safe bowl (glass like Pyrex works best)
4) The cooking will take an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so. In the last 15 minutes add the basil
5) Once everything has cooked either blend or add it directly to your pasta.
This recipe really doesn’t require much attention on your part, but still be safe and don’t burn your house down.
*Can also add raw Italian sausage (2) to make it a much richer sauce if you choose.